The microbiome is the genetic material of all the microbes - bacteria, fungi, protozoa and viruses - that live on and inside the human body. The microbiome has essential beneficial functions relevant to supporting life and it is a fundamental component of human physiology. Changes in the microbiome can trigger changes in human cellular activities, resulting in disease or contribute to its progression.
The Human Microbiome
- The human body has around 10X more bacteria within it, and on it than human cells
- The collective name for all the genes in all the bacteria is 'the microbiome'
- The microbiome consists of around 1000,000 genes - humans have around 23,000
- The microbiome has huge potential to change how the body functions
SkinBioTherapeutics uses lysates (extracts) of probiotic bacteria that have been shown to:
- Increase the skins barrier integrity by enhancing the formation of multi-protein complexes called 'tight junctions'. Tight junctions seal the space between adjacent gut cells to prevent the passage of toxins, molecules and ions through these spaces
- Protect the Skin from infection by outcompeting harmful pathogens
- Increase the rate of Skin healing in response to injury